G.I. Organizer Arrested On Calif. Contempt Charge

(This is the second in a series of articles describing trials with political implications across the country.)

TUCSON, ARIZ., Jan. 28-A young woman from Venice, Calif., was charged with contempt today when she refused, at a Federal Grand Jury investigation hearing, to answer broad questions about her activities over the past two years.

The woman, Teri Volpin, was involved in G.I. organizing activities in Venice.

Volpin was released from the Pima County Jail yesterday after finishing a two-month sentence for contempt before the Grand Jury in November. She received a subpoena ordering her to appear today before the Grand Jury as she was leaving the jail.

Four Others

Four others, also from Venice, who refused to testify before the Grand Jury earlier are still in jail serving their first contempt sentence. They and Volpin were out on bail from Dec. 24 to Jan. 18, pending appeal. Their appeal was rejected.

Voipin was asked substantially the same questions today which she refused to answer in November. She was asked to discuss all trips she took inside and outside California last year, all demonstrations in which she participated, all conversations in which explosives had been discussed, every individual to whom she had lent her car, and every contact she had had with a number of individuals.