Swimmers Have Easy Task In Meet Here with UConn

By Bennett H. Beach

Harvard's swimmers should have no trouble tonight defeating UConn in an 8 p.m. meet at the IAB. The freshmen swim UConn at 6:30 p.m.

In fact, the Crimson may have trouble keeping its mind on the meet because of Saturday's crucial contest against Dartmouth here. If Harvard is to have a good season in the Eastern League, a victory over the Indians seems imperative.

Greg Huff. a distance freestyler, said last night that he was "about as up as you can get for UConn." He may have the toughest assignment of the evening if coach Bill Brooks decides to put him in the 1000-free and the 500-free as usual. The Huskies' best swimmer is a sophomore named Walt Welch, and his events are also the long freestyles.

Events Switch

But Brooks is likely to switch his men around as he usually does against weak teams and put them in events they don't ordinarily swim. Huff, for instance, may compete in the butterfly, his favorite stroke in high school.

UConn's other top performers are Jed Phillips, a sprinter, and Ted Brindamour. a backstroker. Either of these two could easily win an event provided Brooks doesn't use his best entrants against them.

Upset Unlikely

Certainly the Huskies entertain no great visions of an upset. Despite having a 3-0 record, UConn must be aware that it has much ground to make up to overtake Harvard. Last year at Storrs, Conn., the Crimson varsity and freshmen both won by 66-29 scores.

All of Harvard's swimmers have returned from vacation, and there are no significant health problems at this point.

The latest addition to the bulletin board at the pool is Swimming World's weekly list of the best national times in each event and, as usual early in the season, several Harvard names are included.

Cahalan On Top

Captain Mike Cahalan is highest, rating second in the 50-free with his 21.7 clocking against Army. Both the relay teams are among the top six.