Presidency Speculation Zeroes in on Bok

By Scott W. Jacobs

All indications yesterday supported published speculation that Derek C. Bok, dean of the Harvard Law School, will become the University's 25th president.

The announcement of the Corporation's decision is expected at a press conference Monday afternoon following a morning meeting of the Board of Overseers, the University's highest governing body which must ratify the decision.

Bok has long been considered the front-runner in the 12-month search for a new president. The ever-eager Boston Record-American brought all rumors to the surface in a story yesterday that was sent over the UPI wires and broad cast on WBUR and WMEX radio.

The Harvard Independent last night published a special edition claiming the decision was reached at a January 4 meeting of the executive committee of the Overseers in New York.

Final Decision?

Francis H. Burr '35, Senior Fellow of the Corporation, and Hugh Calkins '45, another Fellow, flew to New York to present the name of the nominee to the Overseers. Reportedly no final decision was made. Another meeting between the executive committee and the nominee is necessary before the candidate's name goes to the full Board Monday.

In their November meeting, the Overseers passed a resolution asking the executive committee to meet with the nominee before making its approval. "If they don't, I'm going to scream up and down the place," one Overseer said Tuesday.

In an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday afternoon, Bok refused to confirm or deny that the Corporation had offered him the job, but said he has not met with the executive committee.

[See story at left.]

Bok has not scheduled any appointments for Monday afternoon.

A likely scenario for the next week has the executive committee convening in Cambridge Sunday night to interview the nominee and forestall a definite word until the last minute.

After an initial 900 nominations, many believe the choice boiled down to the most likely candidates from the very beginning. Bok, 40, a graduate of Stanford University, and John T. Dunlop, 56, dean of the Harvard Faculty and a graduate of Purdue, Either would be the first Harvard president who has not graduated from the College.

"One must admit that the name isnot exactly a surprise," Dunlop said last night about the Bok rumors. "I'm sure if it's a final decision it's a good one."

Bok's candidacy received an extra boost in mid-December when Paul Freund, University Professor, and Archibald Cox, Williston Professor of Law-two of the most prominent men in the Law School-joined in signing a letter endorsing the Dean for president.

Burr refused to comment on any of the Bok speculation last night. He did scotch one rumor, however, that a provost would be named on the same day as the president. "If all goes according to plan, we won't be naming two or three men together on the same day." he said.