Fourth Ranked Booters Face Cornell 11 Today

By M. DEACON Dake

With injuries hobbling both Harvard and Cornell, an angry debate between athletic departments, concerning the playing site, still raging, and the startling upset Wednesday of the Big Red, an aura of uncertainty surrounds today's showdown at Ithaca between the nation's fourth and fifth ranked soccer teams.

The Crimson, unbeaten with a 4-0 mark, will definitely be without the services of senior fullback Phil Axten, who is still being held out pending further tests for a possible concussion suffered in the Amherst game.

However, even more disastrous to Harvard is the possible loss of captain Charlie Thomas, who is listed by coach Bruce Munro as a very doubtful starter. Last year's Ivy League scoring champion stepped on a ball during the Wesleyan match and tore some connective tissue in his lower leg. Thomas was still unable to run Friday morning when the squad boarded the plane to Ithaca.

The team did get one bit of good luck as X-Rays of linkman Emanuel Ekama's severely bruised foot proved negative. Used sparingly against Wesleyan, Ekama is a probable starter today.

Unfortunately, a recent development has sent four members of the defensive squad scurrying to and from the infirmary. The strongest attack on the defense this season, a viral infection, has left goalie Shep Messing, and fullbacks Chris Wilmot, Norrie Harrower, and Rick Scott weak from diaherria and head colds.

In Ithaca, not only is the trainer working but the surgeons have been called in. Two starting halfbacks from the squad that earlier this year upset one of last season's NCAA semi-finalists, will not be suited up for Harvard.

Perhaps, these two losses have hurt the Big Red's recent performances more than anticipated. "We just haven't put it together since the Hartwick game," rookie coach Don Wood said. Last Saturday while Harvard was trouncing Columbia, 5-0. Cornell was fighting for its life against lowly Princeton.

The Big Red managed to squeak by the Tigers, a team Columbia beat earlier, 3-2, for its fifth win, 4-3. Alas, the Big Red's bubble finally burst Wednesday at Colgate as the Rams, riding on a 2-0 halftime lead, held on during a second half totally dominated by Cornell to squeeze out a 2-1 victory.

The Big Red may have been looking past the game with Colgate, who is now 5-1, to today's match. "It took us a long time to wake up," Wood explained. "I figured Colgate was very good but then again I wasn't playing." In the second half, one Cornell shot hit the goal post and another missed an open net.

Even with the two injuries and its recent performance problems, Cornell offers the Crimson its toughest opposition to date and a real threat to Harvard's chances for repeating as Ivy champions.

Wood boosts 12 returning lettermen, including All-Ivy forwards Bob Rechtschaffen and Frederico Rojas, and four talented transfer students, including Junior College All-American Victor Huerta. Goalie Craig Speak and fullback Russ Pollack anchor the defense.

Pointing for the Cornell game, Harvard's over all attack is at its highest level so far this season.

"We know how important this game is," Munro said. "In this week's N.C.A.A. News it said 'in the Midwest and West, the no. 1 ranked teams. St. Louis and U.C.L.A. are playing the no. 2 teams, Quincy and San Jose State, but the best game this week will be in Ithaca, N.Y., where the no. 1 team in New York faces the no. 1 rated squad in New England.' They know how important it is too." Ivy Standings   W  L  T Penn  2  0  0 Harvard  1  0  0 Cornell  1  0  0 Columbia  1  1  0 Brown  0  1  1 Yale  0  0  1 Dartmouth  0  1  0 Princeton  0  2  0

Today's Schedule

Harvard at Cornell

Yale at Columbia

Dartmouth at Brown

Today's Schedule

Harvard at Cornell

Yale at Columbia

Dartmouth at Brown