Booters Ranked Third; Penn Loses to Navy

By M. DEACON Dake

In the national soccer rankings released yesterday, Harvard's unbeaten booters moved up to third place, a spot vacated by Pennsylvania after the Quakers lost to Navy, 2-1, on Saturday.

The Crimson edged Cornell, 3-2, on Saturday to raise its record to 5-0 and keep pace with number one ranked St. Louis, who beat the formerly number six rated team, Quincy, 2-0.

Without a doubt, the big surprise of the week was the Middies upset at Annapolis. In a game that was tied, 1-1, at the half, the Quakers out shot unbeaten Navy, 32-17. The winning goal came midway through the final quarter.

After a Quaker shot hit the crossbar, Navy cleared to the corner and then to midfield. A quick pass to the right corner and a sharp centering pass set up the winning goal.

"Much as I hate to say it, we were outhustled," Quaker coach Bob Seddon said. "We've been a little slack lately and it caught us. They were just beating us to the ball."

As the result of the victory, the Middies jumped from ninth to fourth in the UPI ranking. In other games involving teams in the top ten, Hartwick beat Marist, 2-0, and NYU, now 5-0-0, moved into the ratings with a 1-0 victory over Colgate. Number two ranked UCLA beat the former seventh ranked Team, San Jose State, and Army, rated tenth last week, dropped its match to the Air Force, 3-1.

National Soccer Rankings

1. St. Louis (9-0-0)

2. UCLA (9-0-0)

3. Harvard (5-0-0)

4. Navy (5-0-0)

5. Hartwick (5-1-0)

6. Quincy (6-1-0)

7. Penn (5-1-0)

8. Southern Illinois (4-0-0)

9. Howard (3-0-0)

10. NYU (5-0-0)