Committee to Study Afro Department

The Faculty has named seven people to a committee to review the Afro-American Studies Department for the first time since its creation two years ago.

The committee will evaluate the academic merit of the Afro-American Studies program.

The review of the department that this committee will undertake was provided for when the department was created on September 22, 1969.

The Faculty voted at that time to "review all aspects of the program and make recommendations as to the membership, operating rules and responsibilities of the permanent Executive Committee at an appropriate time during that year (1971-72)."

Four of the eight people on the committee were to be Harvard faculty members, the remaining four to come from outside the University.

The four faculty members appointed to the committee at a faculty meeting Wednesday are Thomas F. Pettigrew '55, professor of Social Psychology, James M. Jones, assistant professor of Social Psychology, Harold J. Hanham, professor of History, and Rupert Emerson '22, professor of Government emeritus.

Three of the appointees coming from outside the University are Vivian Henderson, President of Clark College, Lois Rice, a Radcliffe trustee and associate director of the College Entrance Examination Board, and Wade H. McCree, a Detroit judge.

An eighth member of the review committee from outside the University remains to be appointed.

No students were appointed to the committee.