Harvard Police Arrest Youths In Dudley House Dining Hall

The Harvard University Police arrested four teenage Cambridge residents on charges of possession of stolen property after the teenagers allegedly used stolen food coupons in the Dudley House dining room Wednesday.

The numbers on the coupons matched the numbers on some of 23 coupon books--valued at $230--stolen from Quincy House and Adams House last Saturday night.

Officials in the Adams House dining room discovered that coupon books, valuing $160, had been stolen from a strong box in the dining hall manager's office when a student asked to buy some coupons Saturday night. The Quincy House staff discovered the loss of its coupon books the next morning.

Russell Carr, manager of the Dudley House dining room, reported two separate incidents of using stolen coupons Wednesday afternoon. Answering Carr's first call, the police arrested two juveniles and brought them before the Cambridge District Court.

One of the youths pleaded not guilty and his case was postponed until November 2. The other was released when police found he was not in possession of any coupons.

Responding to Carr's second call two hours after the first arrest, the police apprehended 'Charles H. Gray, 18, and one other juvenile. At the East Cambridge District Court yesterday, both pleaded not guilty and will appear in court on November 4. Gray was released on $1000 bail.

All Harvard dining hall units have been checking this week for the stolen coupon books. Frank Weisbecker, Associate Director of the Food Services, said yesterday. "I can't remember a theft like this happening before--it's really unusual. We have contacted the units for added security, and we hope to find all the books."