Rugby 'A' Tops Tigers, 12-3

Baldwin Scores Try

Playing strong rugby from start to finish, the Harvard "A" rugby team spoiled visiting Princeton's undefeated season Saturday by beating them 12-3. Princeton had a 5-0 record going into the contest, while Harvard was 2-2-1.

In the first half, Harvard, behind a strong wind, was constantly on the attack, and spent the majority of the period in Princeton territory. For about half of that time, the ruggers were within fifteen yards of the goaline, but could not take the ball over.

Princeton however was called for six penalties, and two of five of Harvard's ensuing penalty kicks were successful, giving them a 6-0 lead at the half.

In the second half, Harvard was forced to move against the wind, but nevertheless continued to dominate play in the Princeton end. Princeton converted a lone penalty kick to make the score 6-3, but their inability to penetrate Harvard territory with any consistency proved fatal.

Smart play by both forwards and halfbacks, along with effective utilization of the forward , kept the pressure on Princeton. Harvard's persistence finally paid off when Rod Baldwin scored on a try from five yards out. Joe Daly made the conversion and Harvard led 12-3.

Baldwin, who had left the game earlier to receive stitches for a cut above his eye, came back to score the game's only try on a "trick" play. Scott Abel picked the ball out of the scrum, threw it to Baldwin, and he lowered his head and smashed straight ahead for the necessary yardage.

The game was "extremely satisfying" rugger Alec Wiggin said. "They get up for Harvard more than any other team, but we take the big ones away from them all the time." Over the last few years the Harvard rugby team has completely dominated Princeton. For instance, the last three times the two teams have met in competition for the Farmington Cup, held at Farmington Connecticut, Harvard has won each contest.

With games against Brown and Yale remaining to be played this fall, the rugby team, judging from their strong showing against the Tigers, should finish with a winning season.