Foundation Chooses Walzer for Award

The Danforth Foundation has chosen Michael L. Walzer, professor of Government, to receive one of ten E. Harris Harbison Awards for Gifted Teaching and an accompanying $10,000 grant.

Walzer is the first Harvard professor to receive the Harbison Award. Including Walzer, six of the ten recipients have attended Harvard University. Walzer received his Ph.D. here in 1962

William A. Arrowsmith and Freda G. Rebelsky of Boston University, and John G. King of MIT also received the Harbison awards at a presentation in St. Louis, Mo., Saturday night. Rebelsky attended the Graduate School of Education in 1958.

Walzer, who is on academic leave this year in California doing a study of war and war crimes, was nominated for the award by David Riesman '31, Ford Professor of Social Sciences.

Walzer was notified of the award last April, but says he has still not decided how to use the money. "This is more money than my wife and I have ever had to contemplate spending," he said.

Martin H. Peretz, assistant professor of Social Studies, said about Walzer's award. "I can think of few colleagues who would merit the award as much. He's a spectacular teacher--and even spectacular is not a strong enough word."

Danforth Foundation President Merrimon Cunniggim said in announcing the awards that they go to "an articulate, passionate teacher who views education as a spiritual affair...not merely a gifted teacher, but the most hard-working teacher imaginable who believes in the value and goodness of what he is doing."

Other winners of 1971 Harbison awards include Robert N. Bellah '48. University of California: Joseph M. Duffy, Notre Dame: Clifton M. Grubbs. University of Texas: and George S. Hammond, California Tech, all of whom attended Harvard graduate schools.

Franz Schulze of Lake Forest College and Robert H. Schwoebel of Temple University also received awards