SDS Confronts Harvard Club; Pickets Heckle Diners, Wives

Several dozen chanting members of Harvard-Radcliffe SDS picketed the Harvard Club of Boston Friday and Saturday night in an effort to alert Club patrons to the firing of Club cook Robert Scollard on September 22.

"We knew a lot of people would be coming to the Club for cocktails and dinner over the Princeton weekend," Molly E. Backup '72, a member of SDS said yesterday. "We figured this was a good time to put on a lot of pressure."

Attica Speach

Although "untidiness" was the reason behind Scollard's firing according to Richard Vitali, manager of the Harvard Club, Scollard maintains the actual cause of his present difficulty stems from a speech he gave on the Boston Common in September supporting the Attica State Prison rebellion.

SDS has supported Scollard with continuous lunch-hour picket lines around the Club during the past month.

Friendly People

While no one was turned away from the Club on either night. Backup maintained the protest was a success. "Some people were really friendly toward us," Backup said. "They'd turn around and give us peace signs. But a lot of people didn't give a damn, and they're the ones who got yelled at," she said.