Pediatrician Gets $250,000 Grant

Dr. Charles A. Janeway, Rotch Professor of Pediatrica, last night received the first Charles Hood Foundation Child Health Award. The Foundation will allow Janeway to use the award of $250,000 for projects in child health care.

Janeway was selected as the person "whose research and health programming has made the greatest recent contribution to the health of New England's children" by a board of Boston area pediatrics specialists.

Janeway said he would use most of the money to improve the facilities and equipment for research at the Children's Hospital Medical Center, where he is physician-in-chief. He added that some of the money would probably be used to speed the implementation of new methods in child health case.

Research Noted

Eastman F. Haywood, director of the Hood Foundation, said Janeway's work in research, as well as his outstanding teaching, brought him to the attention of the Foundation's award committee.

Janeway has done research in infectious diseases and antibiotics, blood protein fractions, immunities and other fields of child medicine.