Crimson Will Test Strength Against Holy Cross Offense

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The Harvard basketball team tests its new-found confidence and its standing in New England basketball circles tonight when it travels to Worcester for an 8:15 p.m. game against Holy Cross.

Crimson coach Bob Harrison set a higher ranking in New England as one of his pre-season goals--last winter's squad ranked sixth--and though his hopes for the team suffered a setback at Dartmouth, tonight's contest could recharge them.

In its last two games, the Crimson has improved markedly, cutting down on turnovers and moving on the fast break. But two problems remain, and both will be important factors against the Crusaders.

Harvard has averaged almost 25 personal fouls per game so far this season, and though the fouls have been spread throughout the line-up (only one Crimson player has fouled out), fouls slow the pace of the game. This works to the advantage of an opponent who is content to work for the easy shot as Holy Cross may do tonight.

In its rebounding game, the Crimson has held its own or out-rebounded all of its opponents so far, but has for the most part relied on its superior height and jumping ability. It won't be able to do that tonight since Holy Cross boasts a 6-8, 6-6, 6-5 front line that crashes the boards.

In order to control the rebounding, Harvard will have to block out on its defensive boards and move for the ball more effectively that it has in its previous games this season.

"I think that if we do a good job on the boards and play pressure defense, we'll be able to handle them," Harrison said yesterday. "We've also got to cut down on our fouls--we've had too many silly ones."

Should the Crimson control its defensive boards it may be able to take advantage of the Crusaders' crushing offense. If it gets the ball off the boards quickly, it can beat Holy Cross on the fast break before the Crusaders can recover on defense.

Harvard will miss Floyd Lewis on the boards; Lewis is out for a week with a badly sprained ankle. Brian Newark will start at center, with James Brown and Tony Jenkins, who will defend against Jim Schnurr (the Crusaders' top scorer), at the forwards, and Jim Fitzsimmons and Jean Wilkinson at the guards.