Racquetmen Win 9-0 Over Army

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity squash team started this winter where it left off last spring as the Crimson routed an improved Army squad, 9-0, Saturday at West Point. The defending national champions won 27 of 28 individual games and were never seriously pressured at any position.

The Crimson will open its home schedule this afternoon when it hosts MIT at 5 p.m. on the Hemenway courts. The Engineers should offer even less of a challenge to Harvard than the Cadets.

Victory was expected against Army, but the highlight of the match was the performance of the Crimson's new number three and four and the strong showing of the new sophomore starters.

Harvard lost its number three and four through graduation last June, but junior Dan Gordon, formerly six, and Alan Quasha, formerly five, moved up on the ladder and successfully fought the tougher competition.

Gordon faced an experienced Cadet at number three in Army Captain Bill James. After dropping the opening game 15-17. Gordon came back to sweep three straight, 18-14, 15-11, 15-12. Quasha, undefeated last year, took his opponent in three games, 15-8, 15-9, 15-13.

Sophomore Archie Gwathmey yielded the least points of the day at number eight. In his first varsity match, Gwathmey crushed his challenger, 15-2, 15-10, 15-7. The only other sophomore in the Harvard line-up, Glen Whitman, whipped Bill Brown at nine, 15-8, 15-9, 15-7.

Lopsided

Over all, the lopsided victory said little about the actual strength of the Crimson. "We didn't have to play new well to best them." Peter Briggs said. Briggs crushed Ray Federici at number one, 15-7, 15-9, 15-8. "But Navy should give us the test we need on Friday." Briggs added. The midshipmen return with most of a squad that lost only to the Crimson and Penn (5-4) last year.

Harvard had to worry about its quality of play at the top of the ladder last fall, but this year's leadership is exceptionally strong. Along with Briggs, captain Dave Fish swept his match at two, 15-14, 15-6, 15-5.

The Crimson's main strength last year was at the bottom of the ladder, and Harvard has not lost its depth this year. Andy Wiegand. Lowell Pratt, and Neil Vosters lost only one match between them last year at seven through nine. Saturday that experienced trio won all nine games at five through seven.

Last year Harvard took 27 straight games from MIT, and the Crimson should have little more trouble today.

Dartmouth made squash headlines Saturday when they topped Williams, 5-4. The Indians, traditionally a mediocre Ivy squad, beat a team that finished third behind Penn and Harvard at the Intercollegiates last spring, and the Ephs are led by Ty Griffith, ranked second in national collegiate play.