Thinclads Face Big 3 Meet Saturday After Smashing Victory Over Brown

Experimentation was the hallmark of the Harvard varsity track team's thumping 75-33 victory over Brown last Saturday afternoon at the Bubble. The key questions left open as the team looks to the Big Three meet next Saturday relate to the possible injuries of Bob Clayton and Dave Elliott.

"The only thing that concerns me is that Clayton's leg has flared up," said coach Bill McCurdy. "In addition. Dave Elliott's foot which bothered him before bothered him again."

"Those were the only negative things," he added.

Clayton strained a muscle behind and just above his knee. Although he normally runs the 600, Clayton ran the 1000 and took a second place 0.4 seconds behind Brown's Ev Schenck who ran a 2:15.3. Harvard's Frank Prior took third place.

Elliott, who normally runs in the 1000, took a second place in the 600 with a time of 1:14.0. Brown's Lee Thompson won the race at 1:13.3 while Rick Melvoin of Harvard took third.

The most exciting race of the day was the two-mile which took place, not surprisingly, between two Harvard runners. Tom Spengler and John Enscoe sprinted to a nerve-splitting finish which saw Spengler, who ran 8:59.0, beat out Enscoe by just 0.2 seconds.

He was ahead for most of the race, but was first passed by Harvard's Jeff Brokaw and then by Enscoe who stayed ahead for part of a lap. Enscoe and Spengler sprinted hard for the entire last Lap. Brokaw finished third.

"It was quite a two-mile," said McCurdy. "What is most significant is that this was Brokaw's best run. It's the first time he's broken nine minutes. Few sophomores run that fast in the two-mile."

The shot put saw both Harvard and Brown hurlers surpass personal records. Harvard's Joe Naughton threw 57'5?". more than two feet better than his previous personal high. He took first place over Brown's Doug Price whose throw of 55'101/2" was his best by 9 inches.

In other events, Dewey Hickman ran his best in the 60-yard high hurdles at 7.4. He took first place while Walter Johnson of Harvard took second. Harvard bested Brown in the mile relay by more than 2 seconds, but Brown took the two-mile relay.

Freshman Feats

The freshmen were also impressive, taking their meet, 74-26. Pole-vaulter Jim Kleiger hurled himself 15'0", missing the Harvard facility record by slightly more than an inch. He barely missed a vault of 15'6".

"He's just on the verge," one teammate commented. "I bet he does 16 next week."