Puckmen Falter, 4-1, As B. U. Ices Beanpot

By Evan W. Thomas

Harvard finally lost a game that it deserved to lose, B. U. the number one team in the East, used its superior depth to wear down the Crimson in the third period and win, 4-1.

Breaking open an evenly-played game that left B. U. with a shaky 2-1 lead at the end of two periods, the Terriers became the first team this season to beat Harvard by more than one goal as they took their second straight Beanpot championship at the expense of a Harvard team.

B. U. penalties might have turned the momentum and possibly outcome around if Harvard's power play had been more productive and B. U.'s penalty killers less tenacious in the second period.

Trailing 1-0 in the second period, the Crimson had seven straight minutes of one or two man advantage to tie it up, but as the many B. U. fans in the sell-out crowd of 15.000 roared, the Crimson chased B. U. clears lethargically.

It appeared that Harvard's momentum had vanished by the time B. U. was at full strength, but the Crimson surprised everyone with the tying goal at 14:15 of the period. Billy Corkery out-skated the Terrier defense, drew the B. U. goalie out of the net, and circling the cage, passed out to Dave Hynes. Hynes whipped the puck into the empty cage, and Harvard was back in the game.

Harvard penalties suddenly became important as B. U. went ahead with less than a minute remaining in the period, scoring on a power play goal by Steve Stirling.

The Terriers broke Harvard's back with two third period goals. B. U.'s Steve Dolluff staged a tremendous one-man rush, beating everybody including goalie Bruce Durno, and Toot Cahoon iced the game on another nice play, taking a perfect pass and leaving Durno on his back again with a quick fake.

B. U. was clearly a better team, or at least a better-balanced team. The once-beaten, once-tied team used three indistinguishable lines to skate Harvard into the ice in the third period and survive Harvard's 11 man-advantage situations without giving up a power-play goal.

The loss leaves Harvard with a 12-5-1 record and possibly the feeling that they in fact do not have the material to beat any team in the East.