Fencing Team Routs Duke But Falls to N.Y.U., 17-10

Facing its strongest opposition of the season, Harvard's varsity fencing team lost several close 5-4 bouts and fell to N.Y.U., 17-10, last Saturday in the IAB.

On Friday evening the Crimson, using most of its second team and reserves, easily overwhelmed inexperienced Duke, 19-8. But against the Violets, Harvard's fencers found themselves relatively inexperienced compared to the N.Y.U. squad.

"We fenced well against N.Y.U.," co-captain Mark Irvings said. "The score could have been a lot closer if we had won some of the close bouts, but as it was the final score was pretty representative of the teams."

"At one point we trailed by only 11-9.," he added. "A win at that point might have turned everything around, but it would have been quite a huge upset. N.Y.U. is certainly the finest nine-man fencing squad in the country."

Blue Devils

Duke is relatively new on the collegiate fencing circuit and the inexperience of the Blue Devils was apparent throughout the match. Coach Edo Marion withdrew the Crimson first team after the first round and the second team maintained the early advantage.

Duke was stronger than we thought," saberman Terry Valenzuela said. "They lacked class and finesse but they were very aggressive and that surprised me."

N.Y.U. had both the best individual fencers in each category and tremendous depth at each weapon. "Their saber team was not that impressive but their foil and epee teams were very poised and were certainly the best I've seen," Valenzuela said.

Slow Start

Irvings felt his individual matches reflected the overall contest against N.Y.U. "I lost to their two top epees 5-4. If I had got started faster. we all would have had more confidence," he said.

Irvings praised two team members, foil Don Valentine and saber Ken Hetzler, for their weekend efforts. "They both have been improving steadily all season long," Irvings said.

The Crimson will not have another home match at the IAB until the end of February. On Tuesday the squad will face Trinity and this weekend the team has a crucial Ivy match at Penn. The Quakers are traditionally a strong fencing team and last year they finished second to Columbia in the Ivy League.