Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Firebomb Destroys Tufts Offices

A firebomb demolished two offices and damaged two others early yesterday morning at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University.

The first fire alarm went out at 4:41 a.m. sent in by students in a fraternity across the street from the Fletcher School.

It Came In Through...

Police said the bomb was thrown through the window of Dean Edmund A. Gullion's office. As the fire spread, it destroyed Gullion's office and the adjacent office of assistant dean Charles Shane.

The fire destroyed Gullion's extensive collection of first edition books and manuscripts and a tapestry given him on a recent trip to South Vietnam. Total damage was estimated at $75,000.

Unlike conventional Molotov cocktails which must be lit before they explode, it appears the bomb used at Tufts utilized a bi-chemical mixture which would ignite on impact. Use of bombs of this type has been rare.

About 15 detectives have been working on the case since yesterday but have found no definite clues concerning the identity of the arsonists. There has been no bomb threat against the Fletcher School for the last five months. Federal detectives will begin working on the case today.

Gullion said the bombing might have been directed against him or the Fletcher School because of involvement with government activities and the Indochina war.

Surprise

Gullion expressed surprise at the bombing. Discussing student political attacks on the Fletcher School, he said the Fletcher School has had a "comparatively mild year in that respect." Although the school does work for various government agencies such as the State Department, the U.S. Information Agency and the Agency for International Development, Gullion said, "We have no secret research; we have no secret contracts."