Cliffie Takes on Leverett House

How will it feel to be the lone woman moving into Leverett House after living on the only all-female floor at Radcliffe? "Very strange," Heather J. Whitney '74 said yesterday.

Asked why Leverett was her first choice, Heather rolled her eyes. "Because I'm crazy. Actually," she went on, "I think it's very important that all the Houses be coed. And I wanted to meet lots of people-not boys, just people."

The Lone Cliffies

Heather does not anticipate the notoriety of being the lone Cliffie. The Radcliffe Housing Office has indicated that it is likely to house transfer students in Leverett and more women will definitely move in by second semester.

Meanwhile, Heather says she's "not scared so much as just nervous. After the first couple of weeks," Heather predicts, "it will settle down into a much chummier situation and they won't pay any particular attention to me."

Heather denied rumors that she was moving to live with a particular person. "A lot of people have assumed that," she said. "I guess they think that's the only reason a girl would move into Leverett House."

Not Much

Even though she thinks all the Houses should be coed, Heather does not feel strongly about the male/female ratio. "I don't see how a 1:1 ratio could be achieved given the alumni situation," she said. "I can't say I'm much of a women's libist."

The Happy House

Heather spoke with Richard T. Gill '48, Master of Leverett House, on Thursday. "He said he would try to make me-and any other women-happy," she reported. "Actually Leverett has something at stake in making me happy. If I'm unhappy, no one else will move down."

Heather, who attended a coed high school in Wilmington, Del., said that her move to Leverett is not in reaction to the all-woman floor she lives on in Comstock Hall. "It didn't even occur to me in those terms," she said.