Injuries Will Hurt Track, But Harvard Win Expected

By E. J. Dionne

Harvard is the favorite over Princeton in today's track meet at the outdoor track. But bad weather could change that or even prevent the meet.

"Bad weather makes the meet more equal," captain Walter Johnson said yesterday. Head coach Bill McCurdy said the ?? may be postponed. "If we can't run tomorrow, we'll run Sunday here or at B.C. where there's an all-weather track," McCurdy said.

McCurdy declined to predict a winner. "First, out of loyalty to the CRIMSON. We'd like to predict a 23-2 win," he said. "The nature of the sport eliminates this. However, we'll predict a win. We'll only hedge on naming the team."

Harvard will be hindered in its efforts by injuries. "One of these is the condition of [Tom] Spengler's cranky knee," McCurdy said. "He is under treatment by Dr. Bart Quigley but the trouble is it's been so long since he's been able to train hard that he's beginning to demonstrate the stride Quigley uses rushing onto the football field in errands of medical mercy."

Taking Over

McCurdy said that he's depending on John Quirk to take over for Spengler in the mile. Quirk, who looked good in the southern training trip, lost to Princeton's John Yunck during the indoor season.

Among the other injured are sophomore hurdler Dewey Hickman, triple jumper Kevin Benjamin and javelin thrower Ricky Szaro.

At the shot put, Joe Naughton "should and must win for us." McCurdy said. Harvard also looks strong in the 880 with Bob Clayton and Dave Elliott expected to rate over Princeton's Bob Oyler and Tom Nunnery. McCurdy called the two-mile "the race of the day." He expects strong performances from Jeff Brokaw and Jon Enscoe.

Princeton is counting on a field events team which cigar-chomping field coach Irwin Weiss calls "our best ever." He also looks for strong individual performances in the hurdles and the 100-yard dash. Princeton lost its first meet last Saturday to Penn, 103-51.