Student Raped; Forced Into Car On Way to Quad

A North House sophomore on her way back to Radcliffe from a Harvard House at 2 a.m. Sunday morning was the victim of the second known rape of a Radcliffe student since October.

Her name is being withheld by the Radcliffe administration, but details of the incident were verified by the Cambridge Police Department.

Jamaica Plain

According to a friend of the girl, she was walking alone up Garden St. towards the Radcliffe Quad when a car pulled up and two youths who appeared to be Puerto Rican forced her into their car at knifepoint.

They then drove to Jamaica Plain, where both men allegedly raped her. Carefully keeping her from seeing the car's license plates. they drove her back to Garden St. The girl was unhurt, her friend said.

Crimes in Common

Lieutenant John Norton of the Cambridge police noted that crimes against women from exhibitionism to sexual assault, are everyday occurrences. particularly in the area of the Common.

For each known incident, he said, it is likely that several go unreported. A Radeliffe student said yesterday that she knows of at least three unreported instances of rape this year.

Man With Gun

In October, a Barnard resident was raped at gunpoint by man repeatedly seen roaming armed with a gun through Radcliffe dormitories. After that incident. Radcliffe Women to Keep Mind and Body Together circulated petitions demanding free self-defense classes for women. Such classes were later provided in several Radcliffe House.

Radeliffe deans did not receive an official report from the Harvard police until after noon yesterday. They declined to comment on the incident at this time. Robert Tonis, Chief of the Harvard Police, was also unavailable for comment.