Army Is Favorite Over Thinclads

By E. J. Dionne

"It simply boils down to the fact that this time we have to get our anticipated points and pick up some where the dope sheets indicate pessimism." said head track coach Bill McCurdy of this afternoon's meet at 12:30 p.m. against Army. "Somebody (make that plural) for Harvard has to do something that doesn't figure."

"So far Army is the best team we have met." McCurdy said. "In both the Dartmouth and Princeton meets we could logically look forward to an overwhelming amount of points in the running to balance anticipated field problems. "Tain't so this time."

In the running events Army has strength in the 100 yard dash, the 440 and the 880. They also have enough potential in the distances to challenge Harvard's scoring power.

"However, we are not about to hand them a 23-2 win even if this is CRIMSON type." McCurdy said.

Harvard's biggest bulge should come in the mile and two mile runs. John Quirk, John Enscoe and a recovering Tom Spengler are favorites to out-race Army runners Deacon Curran and Deacon Fee. Quihk also looks strong in the 2 mile.

Joe Naughton is expected to take first place in the shot put. The big fight will be for second place, and here Harvard's Teddy DeMars is given the edge. He hit his personal high of 49'5" against Dartmouth last Saturday.

Army Won Indoors

Harvard's Spectacular Sprinters will face their toughest test today. The team of Bailee Reed, Chris Alvord, Dave Anderson, Charlic Wilson and John Schneider took 45 of the 46 points available to them in the season's first two meets. However, Army's Tony Dedman and Deac Flanigan took 1-2 against Harvard in their indoor meeting.

Harvard high jumpers Ed Baskauskas, Fred Lang and Bill Bihrle III are slight favorites. Army beat Harvard in the jump indoors, but the Harvard jumpers turned in very impressive performances against Princeton and Dartmouth.

"The Army mule is a horse of another color." McCurdy said. "We are saddled with problems. We must depend upon unbridled ferocity as we take the bit in our teeth and hopefully gallop to victory. Whoa... enough of that."