'Cliffe Swimmers Consider Future

Awards from the past and predictions for the future highlighted the annual Radcliffe swimming department banquet last night.

The dinner was held to honor those individuals, from swimmers to lifeguard, who have contributed to the Radcliffe swimming program, but the conversation centered around the fate of Radcliffe sports in the face of the Harvard "non-merger" and the recent architects" studies.

Mary Paget, coordinator of recreation, pointed out that Radcliffe athletics have always aimed at an instructional approach, while Harvard's program centers on competition, varsity and intramural, that assumes competence. "Our programs emphasize the learner rather than the athlete." Paget said. "We hope that Harvard moves in our direction."

Last But Not Least

Paget pointed to the success of Radcliffe's crew as an indication of the benefits of the instructional program. In Tuesday's House race, Radcliffe finished only seven seconds behind Leverett House. The Radcliffe boat will race again this morning against the "B" boats.

Swimming discussion centered on the architects' investigation of the Harvard Observatory and Soldiers' Field as possible sites for a competitive Olympic pool and basketball complex. The first site is now considered too cramped. Radcliffe has emphasized that the Radcliffe pool should be improved for noncompetitive use.

Merger?

The question of merger arose when Alice McCabe, director of swimming, could not decide whether to put an "R" or an "RH" on the team suits. "At one time I was very worried about the Radcliffe program disappearing." she said. "But, as Winston Churchill said, "There will always be an England, and I think I can say there will always be a Radcliffe."

But one guest added, "I wish I could believe that. You talk to the architects after they've met with the Harvard athletic department, and you start to wonder if they ever think of us."