Lacrosse Team Tops Yale, 10-9, To Secure Third Place in League

By Bennett H. Beach

Phil Zuckerman's 23 rd goal of the season with 45 seconds left enabled Harvard's lacrosse team to overcome stubborn Yale. 10-9, Saturday on the Business School Field. The win gave the Crimson third place in the Ivy League.

Harvard had been the pre-game favorite though the teams had identical League records, but a fast start by the Elis and exceptional play by Yale's Tom Fagan almost brought them an upset win over the Crimson.

For the first minute of the game, the Crimson dominated play. Captain Rick Frisbie won the draw and, after controlled passing and a few shots. John Hagerty took a Zrokerman pass, switched hands, and bounced the ball past goalie Bing Gordon.

Yale soon began to put pressure on the Harvard defense and scored four goals at three-minute intervals, one on a beautiful quick stick. This spurt was a real psychological boost for the Elis, who have been slow starters all spring.

The Crimson responded during a four-minute span in the middle of the second period. Zuckerman fed midfielders Bobby Green, Verdi DiSesa and Frisbie for three goals that enabled Harvard to hold a 6-5 lead at the half.

Starts

Yale coach Bob McHenry was enthusiastic as he talked to his club during the break. Harvard had outshoot the Bulldogs, 29-12. "Twenty-nine shots to 12, and you're down one goal. That must mean something." McHenry said.

"The way they're playing defense out there, all you have to do is beat your man, and you've got a goal." he added. "They're playing eye-to-eye."

Stops

Two quick goals by Hagerty and Frisbie indicated that Harvard was perhaps ready to unleash its potent at tack and run up a big lead. Then the Elis, particularly Fagan, began to take McHenry's advice, and Yale came storming back to eventually tie the score, 8-8.

From the five-minute point in the final period, the score was knotted at 9-9. Both defenses held for almost ten minutes. Then Cle Landolt, standingbehind the net, saw Zuckerman cutting in on his left and fed him for a final goal. "I heard him coming," Gordon said. "It was a nice shot, right off the hip."

Zuckerman and Landolt-and some teammates-embraced. It was the last point for both of them after playing together at Exeter and than Harvard. "That's it. Zuck baby!" Landolt exclaimed. "That's it!"

There was a note of sadness, though, Less than a minute later, Frisbie checked a man and broke his leg.

Zuckerman (2-4-6) and Fagan (1-5-6) dominated the statistics, and Zuckerman now leads the League with 25 points. Cornell's Al Rimmer will probably surpass him, however.