Divinity Faculty Supports Protest

By Helen Hershkoff

The Faculty of Divinity voted Tuesday to urge class suspension at the Divinity School yesterday and today in support of the non-violent antiwar protests in Boston.

Although the Faculty left the decision to suspend classes to the discretion of each Faculty member, its resolution urged participation by "every member of the Harard Divinity School community . . . in whatever manner his conscience dictates."

The resolution cited "the continuation and recent intensification of a tragically mistaken American military policy, and . . . the continuing daily devastation of the land and population of Southeast Asia."

Initiated by William R. Hutchison, Charles Warren Professor of the History of Religion in American, the resolution passed 13-3 with two abstentions.

The resolution came out of discussions in the Committee on Educational Policy, and was not a response to student pressure, according to Krister Stendahl, dean of the Divinity School.

"This statement is a continuation of stands we have stated quite a few times," Stendahl said yesterday. "Itseems to be still a point worth making, to say the least."

At the Medical School, an informal group of students and faculty members held a teach-in last night to discuss physician resistance to the war. Yale Chaplain William Sloan Coffin Jr. spoke, as did Vietnam veterans.

The bells tolled on Francis Street yesterday noon as the Divinity School commemorated the first anniversary of the Kent State killings.