Gridders Lose Three Starters

Harrison, Crone, Golden Out for Huskies

By Grady M. Bolding

The Crimson lost three starting backs as a result of last weekend's Holy Cross game. Halfback Steve Harrison and cornerback Steve Golden are out for at least three weeks, while quarterback Eric Crone will not see action for the next two Saturdays.

Harrison has a bruised shoulder and Golden is suffering from stretched ligaments in his knee. Crone has a hyperextension in his knee.

At the moment. Harrison's injury and the lingering ankle problems of fullback Steve Hall are causing the most confusion in the Crimson ranks.

"With those two guys out, we won't be able to run from as many different sets. Because of the personnel shifts involved, we won't be playing at our optimum level Saturday," coach Joe Restic said yesterday.

Harrison's absence will mean that Rich Gatto will be shifted from right to left halfback. Sophomore speedster Nick Leone will start at right half and Ted DeMars will once again be standing in for Hall at fullback for the Northeastern game.

Quarterback Problem

With Crone out of the lineup. Restic's problem of picking a number-one quarterback has been temporarily solved.

Restic expressed confidence in Rod Foster's ability to come up with another big game for the Crimson. Foster hit 13 of 19 passes and picked up 45 yards rushing against Holy Cross.

"You've got to be impressed with the way Rod played last week. I just hope he can get us far enough ahead in the next two games so that we can give our other quarterbacks a little experience." Restic said, referring to sophomore Jim Stoekel and junior Frank Guerra.

Bright Side

Looking on the bright side of the physical situation, the Crimson was very lucky that last weekend's injuries came at positions where the squad is particularly deep.

"Our depth is worst up front on both offense and defense. If we lose any linemen, we're in definite trouble," Restic said.

Senior guard Jerry Hevern is the only interior lineman still feeling any serious pains from the Holy Cross game. Hevern is still limping with a tender knee and may be sidelined Saturday. If so, Bob Kircher will take his place at left guard on offense.

Wex Shofner, who stood in for Golden most of the Holy Cross game, will fill the corner back position again Saturday. Denis Sullivan will once again Saturday. Denis Sullivan will once again be at split end, as Bill Craven is still suffering from a pulled hamstring.

Restic said yesterday that besides the changes necessitated by injuries, his starting lineup for Northeastern will be the same as in the Holy Cross game.