Sports Quiz Wins in Quest for Space

Wrests 18 1/2 Inches from Taylor, Chase, Witte et al.

By M. DEACON Dake

Harvard plays no intercollegiate contests over the weekend.

Karen Chase, the celebrated basketball star at Windham College up in Putney, Vt., has split her off-campus house to head south for Saturday and Sunday.

Corky Taylor and Ron Behagen, Minnesota's tag-team duo fresh from a TKO victory over Ohio State, are listed as unlisted in the Minneapolis telephone directory.

Their coach, Bill Musselman, has strangely forgotten to put his phone back on the hook after talking to Big 10 commissioner Wayne Duke.

Things are hoppin' at Ohio State center, Luke Witte's apartment, but unfortunately for Crimson readers Witte has reportedly "gone to a party" at another part of the campus to rest up after last week's tangle with the Gophers. Witte missed the Buckeye's Saturday loss to Michigan in Ann Arbor as he sat on the bench with a concussion.

The sports page is sporting an 18 and a half inch hole. And so last night the stage was set for that once-a-year star, that welcome visitor, that let's students take a pause from the exam time blues. Yes, it's time for the Crime's super basketball quiz:

1. Who was the 1970-71 ECAC ALL-East Player of the Year and who was last season's Sophomore of the Year?

2. What ACC senior shot .607 from the field last year, second in the country only to Arkansas State's six foot nine John Belcher's .633?

3. Last year North Carolina beat Georgia Tech in the National Invitational Tournament. But what were the two final teams in 1970, and which was the winner?

4. Johnny Neumann from Mississippi led the country in scoring last year with an average of 40.1 points per game. Notre Dame's Austin Carr was second with 38 points per game. Who was third?

5. What graduated Ivy League star was second in the nation last season in free throw percentage, shooting at a .871 clip?

6. Of the ten highest single game scoring totals recorded last year, eight were by either Neumann, Carr, or Humes, but the fourth highest game total (56 points) was netted by a well known east coast star against Furman. Who was he? The tenth highest game was posted by a Southern Methodist player who led the Southwest Conference in scoring for three straight years before graduating last June. Who was he?

7. And now a question for you City of Brotherly Love basketball freaks. Of the Big Five, Villanova, Pennsylvania, LaSalle, St. Joseph's and Temple, which team has won more championships in the prestigious Quaker City Tournament since its 1961 beginning.

8. What team led the country in team defense last year, holding its opponents to 53.7 points per game? (Hing--It was not Army but it was an eastern school.)

9. Like teams, many basketball stars have nicknames. See if you can identify these colleges' All-Americans from their nicknames and then give the nicknames or mascots of the teams. Kentucky State's "The Machine," St. John's "Chairman of the Board," and Stephen F. Austin's "The Snake."

10. Even though walloped by, North Carolina Saturday, Maryland is an up and coming basketball power behind coach Lefty Driesell. What state has Driesell drawn most of his talent from to makeup this season's varsity squad?