The Path to Public Service at SEAS


Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum


Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President


Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study


Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Sluggish Hockey Team Coasts by Bruins, 3-1

By Evan W. Thomas

Harvard's hockey team coasted to an unimpressive 3-1 win last night over a characteristically rough Brown team that is better than its 2-8 record indicates. The Crimson capitalized on the Bruins frequent trips to the penalty box, scoring two goals on power plays.

Brown collected its first of eleven penalties after only 15 seconds of play, and the Crimson wasted no time, taking a 1-0 lead at 00:30. Dave Hynes and Bobby Muse combined for the goal, as Hynes tipped in Muse's slap shot from the point. Hynes' linemate and Harvard's leading scorer, Bob McManama, started off the play with a pass-out from the corner.

Brown's close-checking defense stymied the Crimson for the remainder of a very dull first period, but Harvard jumped to a quick goal at 1:29 of the second to up their lead to 2-0. Captain Tommy Paul dug the puck out from behind the cage and hit Larry Desmond standing 15 feet out, and Desmond shoveled a backhander into the upper right hand corner of the Brown net. Desmond moved up from third line to Paul's line during the St. Louis tourney and his play night will probably keep him there for the Cornell game.

The action picked up late in the second period, resulting in a few punches, four roughing penalties, and a Harvard goal. Taking advantage of a man-up situation, the Crimson iced its sixth win of the season with another tip-in goal.

McManama received the credit, as Mark Noonan's slap shot glanced off his stick and Brown goalie Lou Reycroft's pad for Harvard's third score. Noonan, a sophomore defenseman, had taken a Hynes' pass and closed in on Reycroft before letting go a hard shot.

The two teams came close to a fight in the last minutes of the period, but the hardest blow was taken by a referee who got in the way of Brown sophomore Tim Smith and ended up on his back.

The game became cleaner and duller in the third period, as Harvard sloppily blew some chances and ended up on the short end of the scoring for the period. Brown, a much faster team than lasts year's 13-8 squad, outplayed the Crimson at times, picking up the only goal on a nice play. The Bruins' Ray Tiernan gave the Brown band a little hope at 4:51, ruining Harvard goalie Joe Bertagna's shut-out with a seven-foot flip shot.

Bertagna played well, as he did over vacation, coming up with 21 saves and stopping several tough shots. Reycroft also performed ably for the Bruins, kicking out 30 shots. Bertagna's job was made easier by the return of defenseman Kevin Hampe.

Harvard avoided last year's weakness and refused to be intimidated by Brown, spending even more time in the box than the Bruins. The Crimson ended the evening with 24 minutes in penalties, while Brown racked up 22 minutes. Harvard's Lief Rosenberger was the leading penalty getter with three.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.