Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

Lowenstein Calls For Student Help In November Race

"You've got to reclaim the country, not abandon it." Allard K. Lowenstein, former congressman from Brooklyn, told a group of 60 people Monday night in the Winthrop House Junior Common Room.

"Four years ago Nixon said that one who had four years to end the war and didn't, should not be President of the U.S.," Lowenstein said, "I don't want to be cynical, but I don't think there will be peace before the November presidential election."

Lowenstein also criticized the narrow focus of the national media and the indifference of black and Puerto Rican communities toward McGovern.

"It's not that people don't know the issues, it's that they've got to get organized and get out and vote," he said.

Lowenstein said students should emphasis Nixon's strocious record" for the past four years rather than making excuses for McGovern's "flaws." He urged students to keep working for McGovern despite his poor showing in the polls.

"I believe in hard work," he said. "I don't believe in blowing up toilet seats."

For the next 60 minutes, the former congressman (D-Nasus County) answered several questions about what he called the "fraudulent victory" of John J. Rooney, his opponent in the 14th District Brooklyn Democratic primary in June.

Lowenstein, who contested the June primary and lost a second primary on September 19 is running against Rooney in November as the Liberal Party candidate.

Lowenstein described Brooklyn's crime, underemployment and miserable living conditions and asked students to work for him in the November campaign.