And Other Affairs

The Mail

To the Editors of The Crimson

The Crimson's Confidential Guide to Harvard would be a more valuable publication if there were less unsubstantiated editorializing and fewer and hominem attacks on particular Instructors. Specifically, the Confi Guide's description of Social Sciences 147, a new course last spring, is in my opinion a petulant diatribe without support is fact.

The article is unequivocal. It advises me to stay away from the course, and, foe that matter, Professor Hughes. As one of seventeen students who took the course when it was introduced last spring. I was never asked to fill out a questionnaire about it; not were several others who took the course, Apparently, since the Confi Guide could gather no information on the course itself, it questioned both colleagues and tutees of Mrs. Hughes about her, What the editors of the Guide forget, however, is that neither Mrs. Hughes's colleagues nor her tutees are in a position to evaluate Social students).

In my opinion, the Guide's editors should not write up courses when they fail to interview the students in them. I found Soc. Sci. 147 to be the most stimulating course that I have taken at Harvard. The material was fascinating, the lectures a delight, and the course as a whole can be termed nothing less than one of Harvard's best. The Confi Guide is very wrong about the course and Judith Hughes. James A. Lack 73