City Council Tackles Problem Of Parking in Cambridgeport

The Cambridge City Council last night passed an order which could restrict the use of cars by Harvard students. It is aimed at preventing commuters and non-residents from using city streets as a parking lot.

The problem is that commuters and students from Boston use Cambridge as a "garage." This is particularly serious since MBTA assessments on Cambridge are based on the number of people entering the system from here.

Councillor Walter J. Sullivan placed the responsibility for the current dearth of parking spaces on the universities. "It's high time Harvard University restricted students from bringing cars into Cambridge. The universities should cooperate with us. We've been putting up with this for years," he said. He noted especially the areas around the Hotel Continental, and Mather and Kirkland Houses.

An amendment proposed by Councillor Alfred E. Velluci would have made the ban effective for all of Cambridge, but this was rejected because of difficulties in defining the term "non-resident." Councillor Frank H. Duehay '55, who sponsored the order, suggested instead that the bill be tried out in a single area. Cambridgeport, and "worked out from there."

Ron Cohen, a member of the Cambridge Civic Association, which backed the order, said later: "We are not against the right of students to become a part of the community, but we have new zoning laws which provide for one parking space per individual dwelling, and it would nice if Harvard would provide the same."