Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Tufts Frosh Tie J.V. Booters in Last Seconds

The junior varsity soccer team had to settle for a 1-1 tie with the Tufts freshman team Friday afternoon after surrendering a fluke goal with 40 seconds left in the game.

The Tufts goal came when Harvard fullback Frank Gerold passed the ball back to goalie Peter Zurkow, in an attempt to relieve pressure on the Crimson defense which was having problems clearing the ball. The ball hit a rut in the uneven Tufts field, bounced away from Zurkow, headed right to a Tufts forward, who booted it into the net.

The Crimson put its only point on the board midway through the first half, when from five yards out center halfback Brock Wilson headed a high crossing pass from left wing Jonathan Conley past the Tufts goalie.

Assistant varsity coach Seamus P. Malin, who directs the junior varsity, called the tie "a real heartbreaker." He explained that he had lost three starters and had been reduced to only three substitutes because of exams and labs.

In spite of the Crimson's small travelling squad, the Crimson "had the run of the play," Malin said. The coach described the game as "very physical."

The tie with Tufts gives the junior varsity a 1-1-1 record. The team lost its first contest on October 5 to Bebson College, 3-2. They defeated the University of Connecticut eight days later by the same score.

The junior varsity will challenge Brown Wednesday at Harvard in what Malin calls the team's toughest contest.