Radcliffe Offense Scores Points Early In 6-2 Hockey Victory Over Jackson

The Radcliffe field hockey team burst through Jackson's weak defense to rock up four quick goals in the opening minutes of play and drove to a 6-2 victory over the Medlord eleven at the Jackson field Tuesday.

"It's a tremendous win, "Marion Charles, Radcliffe captain, said after the game. "The team hadn't practiced since last week but really put these goals in quickly in the first half."

JV captain Maud Wood, playing for an absent member of the starting 'Cliffe eleven, took a pass from Kathy Agoos in the left wing to fire a difficult head-on goal early in the game. Another goal by Wood, plus two successive goals by Wood, plus two successive goals by center forward Sally Foster, put Radcliffe ahead, 4-0, about four minutes before halftime.

"Because of the lack of practice we got a little tired after making those points," Charles said. Jackson squeezed in two goals past the 'Cliffe defense just before the gun to close the Radcliffe lead.

The confident but weary Radcliffe team continued to dominate the second half with Wood and right wing Hilary Walker firing two goals from ten feet out.

Jackson's shaky offense threatened Radcliffe with two shots in the second half by driving deep towards the wings. 'Cliffe goalie Barby Matson fell to the ground on the first shot by Jackson and blocked a returning shot with her foot. She hit the ball away to a Radcliffe teammate to end the Jackson drive.

"It took a strong team effort, even if most of us were out of shape," Charles said. "We didn't play as well as usual, but Maud was a real standout."

Wood's absence from the JV squad hurt Radcliffe's second game on the Jackson turf as the 'Cliffe JV dropped a 3-0 decision to the Medford women.

Jackson's defense forced several turnovers early in the game, exhausting the Radcliffe team. Jackson found good scoring position and took the game.

Radcliffe's varsity squad takes their 2-0 record to the New England Conference Tournament in New Haven this weekend. "I can't say how we'll do" Charles said "we'll have to be in shape if we expect to win more games