UHS Committee Recommends $25 Student Health Fee Boost

By Merrick Garland

An advisory committee to the University Health Services recommended Tuesday that the student health fee for 1973-74 be increased by $25. If the recommendation is accepted, the new fee, included in tuition, will be $155.

Projected UHS expenses for 1973-74 total $4.36 million, with $2.04 million available from sources other than student fees. Currently the only source available for the remaining $2.32 million is the student health fee.

Two recent cost accounting studies by UHS personnel revealed that the cost per student for total UHS services in 1971-72 exceeded the student health fee by $30.

Dr. Warren E. Wacker, director of UHS, said yesterday that in submitting this proposal to the Administration, he would also suggest alternate sources of increased revenue. These include increasing the University's contribution to the UHS, and charging a token $1 per visit.

The committee also considered the possibility of making the Blue Cross-Blue Shield insurance premium optional for undergraduates. That proposal was submitted to the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life for further study.

The UHS's fee-increase proposal must next be considered by the office of Hale Champion. Financial vice president. Wacker was confident, however, that the ultimate figure will be approximately $155.