Women At Yale

ADMISSIONS:

By Susan F. Kinsley

"We are dedicated to graduating 1000 male leaders," Yale President Kingman Brewster said in 1968, assuring worried alumni that Old Ell's decision to add coeds in the fall would not stem the steady flow of Yale-educated men into the Supreme Court, Legislature and Wall Street.

Two and one-half years later. Yale has 1000 more women but overcrowded dorm rooms, student pressure for more women and community protest against more college expansion. In an open memo Brewster this month declared coeducation a success, but further expansion out of the question.

In light of this dilemma, the Yale corporation meets today to reconsider that 1968 assumption that adding women necessarily means increasing the size of the college.

The corporation members will have five options to choose from--three which would produce approximately equal representation of men and women, and two which promise a minimum cut-back in the number of men. All plans would limit college expansion to 500 more students.

Students, faculty and administration representatives have all endorsed sex-blind admissions. The alumni--the only constituency group still to be heard from--will give the corporation a confidential recommendation today.

Their highly influential endorsement could determine the future of male supremacy at Yale, if not in the nation's leadership.