Brown Derails Frosh Gridders 31-10; Turnovers, Long Runs Ruin Yardlings

Brown, capitalizing on seven Harvard turnovers and touchdown bursts of 60, 47, and 76 yards, derailed the Yardling gridders, 31-10, yesterday at Providence in the battle of the titans in Ivy freshman football.

The Bruins defense, which has allowed only 16 points in its now-completed 5-0 season, throttled the Crimson attack to just 175 total yards while intercepting four Yardling serials and recovering three Harvard fumbles.

Surging Defense

Brown's surging defensive line upset the rhythm of the Yardling offense all afternoon, trapping Crimson bull carriers eight times for 41 yards in losses and being largely responsible for Harvard's consistently poor field position.

The Yardlings never launched a drive beyond its own 45-yard-line, and the average origin of each of its offensive series was its own 23-yard-line.

The game's first score was a Crimson touchdown with just over a minute gone in the second period. On third-and-six-fourth Brown's 13-yard-line, quarterback Mike Lynch threw his fifth touchdown pass of the year, a loss over the middle hitting halfback Alan Yates at the Bruin's seven. Yates headed straight for the end zone and bulled over a Brown tackler for the score. Lynch's PAT was good, and the Yardlins led, 7-0

The touchdown capped an 11-play, 59-yards drive which was highlighted by the power running of stocky fullback Neil Hiller.

After the ensuming kickoff, Brown and Harvard traded possession of the bell three times until the stalemate was broken with 12 minutes left in the first half, where Bruin pass rushers forced the Yardlings into punting situation deep in Crimson territory.

35-Yard Boot

Dave Zewinski boomed a 35-yard boot to Brown safety Tom Clarl., who took the bell at his own 40-yard-line as squirmed 80 yards down the right sidelines behind a picket of blockers to score for the Bruins.

The Crimson retaliated immediately with a 60-yard drive, which resulted in a field goal by Lynch with 28 seconds remaining in the first half. Propelling Harvard to a 10-7 halftime land.

In second half action a Lynch interception and two dazzling explosions by Brown halfback Hubert Morgan put the contest out of reach for Harvard.

With seven and one-half minutes left in the third quarter. Lynch, facing a second-and-21 crisis on his own 13-yard-line. dumped an attempted screen pass directly into the hands of onrushing Bruin lineman Phil Rartlett, who rumbled to the Crimson three before being hauled down.

Halfback Kevin Slattery then fought through the left side of the Yardling goalline defense to raise the Brown advantage to 14-0 following a PAT by jone violante.

Just two minutes later the Bruins regained possessions after a Crimson punt, and on first down halfback Morgan blazed 47 yards virtually untouched around left end, making the tally 21-10.

The Bruins tacked on a 21-yard Violante field goal with 13 minutes left in the game, and then three minutes later had control of the ball and called Morgan's number again.

This time the speedster tore through a gap in the middle of the Yardlings line, broke one sickle, and streaked 76 yards, to the end none for the content's final touchdown.