Brown Overwhelms J.V. Booters, 9-1 End Season With Disappointing Record

The junior varsity soccer team finished up a disappointing season yesterday on a familiar note a loss, this time to the Brown junior varsity, '91.

The only bring light of the day came halfway through the first half when right wing Danny Potts slammed the ball past the Brown goalie at the end of a sustained drive up the field.

Getting assists on the play were left wing Fred Weiss and halfback Harry Dodson. After taking a pass from charging halfback Art Faden. Weiss changed a cross hot into the middle of the field to Dodson. The halfback then passed to Potts for the tally.

The loss put the final record of the junior varsity at 1-5-1. The team gained its only victory on unlucky Friday, the 13th of October.

The team suffered another loss to brown on October 25 by the more respectable score of 4-0.

Brown scored four of its goals in the first half, and three of these were freak goals of the Harvard fullbacks. The first two came as fullback Steve Mead, attempting to ease the pressure on the Crimson defense, kicked the ball back to goalie Peter Zurchow. But the tiled was muddy, and Zurchow was unable to get to the ball, which trickled into the nets.

Brown scored its third on another mistake, as Harvard fullback Tony James tried to chest-trap a shot, which bounced off him into the goal. The fourth goal for the Bruins was scored on a shot about ten yards out of the penalty area.

After a half-time break, abbreviated to one minute by the cold weather, the teams played evenly for about 15 minutes.

But then, a Brown player dribbled upfield and uncontested by the defense, boomed a slicing shot into the goal.

Brown tallied next as goalie Ben Brainiest missed a high cross shot which will then headed into the nets. The seventh goal like the fifth was a slicing toe kick which landed in the upper right-hand corner of the goal.

The final tallies of the Brown learn come on hard crossing shots which slipped into the lower left side of the goal.

Chris Willmot assistant varsity soccer coaches who substituted for Coach Seamus Malin said yesterday that the team was depressed after the first three accidental goals. He also criticized the official as biased. Finally, he said, "Man for man they were stronger than we were".

The Crimson played and last it first game of the season of October 5, as it was edge by the Babson college junior varsity. After it sole victory by a 3-2 margin over Uconn, it met the tufts freshmen and tied 1-1. Subsequently, the team lost three games in a row the first the shout out by the Brown junior varsity. The second a 1-1 tie with BU, and thirdly, a 3-1 loss to Southeastern Massachusetts.