Andover Outbattles Freshman Booters With Third Quarter Breakaway Goal

A determined Andover soccer team outbattled the Harvard freshman soccer team yesterday at Andover, 1-0, with a break-away goal late in the third quarter.

The Andover eleven tallied when a forward collared a long pass, slipped by the fullbacks, and unloaded a shot into the Harvard nets. Goalie John Kiernan did not have time to react to the shot, which was made from several yards inside the goalie's box.

The Crimson, which dominated the game despite the loss, according to inside right Tony Custer, mounted several threats during the game but never managed to score.

Harvard's most serious threat occurred after Andover's lone goal, when Ed Perez headed a high pass into the crossbar of the Andover goal.

Co-captain Bobbie McGee came close to a goal in the third quarter, when he needed only to trap the ball with his chest and boot it by the last man--the Andover goalie. But the goalie came out and slapped the ball away before McGee could get control of the ball.

Coach Dana Getchell platooned his team in the game, alternating a pair of forward and halfback lines every 15 minutes.

The Andover field is very small and uneven, and the best offense to play on it is to boot a long shot down the field and run, Custer said.

Getchell used the two teams so the Crimson would not get overtired running back and forth, Custer added.

Andover scored its goal while the line with mostly first-stringers was playing, Custer said.

Not Interested

Harvard was not as enthusiastic about the game as the Andover squad, who were "full of get-up-and-go," Custer said. "We weren't on our toes," Custer added.

Custer explained that the team had been very psyched up for the Dartmouth contest last Saturday, which they won 2-1. They were not as interested in yesterday's game, he said.

The team plays the Princeton freshmen next on November 11. Its record now stands at 3-2. The team has beaten Babson and MIT, as well as Dartmouth. Their two losses were to prep schools, Exeter and Andover.