The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Astronomer Whipple Retires, Field to Succeed as Director in July

Fred L. Whipple, Phillips Professor of Astronomy, will retire as Director of the local Smithsonian Astrophysical Laboratory in July. The Smithsonian Institute announced the retirement yesterday named George B. Field, professor of Astronomy, to succeed him.

Whipple has been named a Smithsonian senior scientist. He has been director of the joint Smithsonian-Harvard facilities here since 1955.. He will spend full time in research.

Meteoric Rise

Sixty-six year old Whipple gained international repute for his studies of meteors, comets and the moon. He is directing the construction of a large optical telescope designed for infra-red and optical astronomy.

The astronomer is a graduate of the University of California and has authored Earth, Moon, and Planets as well as papers and articles on astronomy.

Field researches the origin of the solar system, the dynamics of interstellar matter, intergalactic matter, and the instability of dilute gases.

Field's Jobs

A former Princeton and Berkeley professor, Field sits on several physics and astronomy survey committees and is a member of the astronomy missions board for NASA.

As director of the joint Harvard College observatory and the Smithsonian facility Field will develop the joint research efforts started by Whipple.