Dartmouth Beats Penn, 31-17 To Capture Ivy League Crown

Dartmouth captured the Ivy League championship Saturday, defeating Penn on the final day of the season, 31-17.

In other games in the league play, Columbia defeated Brown, 28-12, and Cornell defeated Princeton, 22-15.

It was the fourth straight season the Big Green had won or shared the crown. Dartmouth was co-champion with Cornell a year ago, and tri-champion with Yale and Princeton in 1969.

Cornell's victory netted the Big Red a third-place tie with Penn.

Primarily through the calm and wily direction of senior quarterback Steve Stetson, the Big Green rolled back from an early 14-0 deficit. The Quakers took a two-touchdown lead during the first 20 minutes, the Dartmouth tied the score by halftime.

In the third quarter, Dartmouth pulled ahead, 17-14, on a field goal by Ted Perry, but Penn's Tim Martin pulled Penn even again on a 25-yard boot with 6:25 left in the final period.

Three plays later, with third down and 10 on its 30-yard line, Stetson hit Jack Thomas with a spectacular 45-yard pass. Penn was unable even to halt the Big Green, which scored seven plays later on a one-yard thrust by fullback Steve Webster.

Dartmouth recovered a fumble by the Quaker quarterback three plays after the next kickoff, and ended Penn's comeback hopes.

Brown's loss dropped the Brains into the Ivy cellar for the eighth straight year. Princeton's defeat meant a 3-4-1 Ivy second for the Tigers, and next-to-last spot in the league.