J.V. Icemen Win Opener, 6-1; Scalp Boston State Warriors

After getting off to a slow start, the Crimson J.V. hockey squad exploded for five goals in the third period to scalp the Warriors of Boston State, 6-1, in their season opener last night at the Boston Arena.

The Crimson got on the board first, but not until the second period. With only three minutes remaining in the period, and Harvard a man down. Fred Paul stole the puck at the Crimson blue line and skated in all alone on the Boston State goalie, beating him for the first tally.

The Warriors came back with a goal right at the buzzer. After Crimson goalie Rick Moseley made the save on a shot from just outside the crease, the puck rebounded out in front, and in the scramble, it was poked into the net by Boston State.

Biggest Goal

The biggest goal of the game, which turned out to be the actual game winner, was Harvard's second, scored by Steve Harris. "That was the goal that broke their backs," coach Robert Carr said after the game.

The J.V.s really turned it on after that, blasting in four goals, two coming within 20 seconds of each other. Six different players contributed to the scoring effort. In addition to Paul and Harris, scores were chipped in by Wayne George, Alexander Milley, Edward Barry and Hugh Hyde, who tallied with only 29 seconds remaining in the contest.

"We were a little tight in the beginning," Carr said. "It was our first game, and we were just feeling things out, but as the game progressed, we got more confident and really exploded in the third period."

The J.V.s looked a little shaky at the start, playing a team that had a few games under its belt. "They kept their poise and waited for the opportunities," Carr said They got plenty of opportunities in the third period as they picked up the tempo of the game and out-hustled the Warriors to the puck in the offensive none.

"One thing that hurt us at the beginning was the 15-minute periods," Carr said. "It didn't give us enough time to get going." The shortened periods were due to the squeeze for ice time at the Arena, Boston State's home rink. A Warrior varsity contest that followed the J.V. match cut short the playing time.