Crimson Icemen Edge B.U. In Penalty-Filled Tilt, 6-5

By Elizabeth P. Eggeert

Harvard hockey team gave the Pi Eta Club a present even sweeter then Ripple wine last night--a penalty filled, 6-5 victory over arch-rival Boston University at B.U.'s Walter Brown Memorial Risk.

Sophomore Ted Thorndike scored the winning goal at 9:58 of the final period to give the Crimson its first victory over the Terriers the ECAC semifinals in March 1971.

Thoredike's fully gave Harvard a 6-4 lead, which B.U. threatened two minutes later, when Terrier Ray Cournoyes best goalie Joe Bertagna with a shot into the lower-right-hand corner of the net.

The Crimson successfully killed three penalties in the remaining minutes to protect the slim 6-5 lead, with sophomore Jim Thomas making two key defensive plays in the last 38 seconds after B.U. had pulled its goalie to skate six forwards.

The game was a test of power play strength as Harvard earned 13 penalties-the equivalent of over a period of penalty minutes-while the Terriers collected nine. Defensemen Doug Elliott and Mark Noonan each were banished to the box three times.

Harvard took the lead early in the first period by capitalizing on a power play, as Bob McManama tallied at 6:21 with assists from linemates Bill Corkery and Dave Hynes, B.U.'s Steve Dolloff had gone off the ice for tripping at 4:56 of the period, two minutes after Harvard had successfully killed a Terrier power play.

At 7:39 of the period, defenseman Kevin Hampe was called for tripping, but again the Crimson was able to nullify B.U.'s advantage. Thomas almost scored on a breakaway while Harvard was shorthanded, but his shot hit the left goal post.

Harvard's second goal came seven minutes later when Hynes took a slapshot from just inside the blue line, B.U. goalie Ed Walsh made the save, but Corkery put in the rebound, McManama also earned in assist on the play.

Harvard's team of Hampe, Mark Noonan, Corkery and Hynes successfully killed two more penalties in the last five minutes, and the Crimson held a 2-0 lead at the end of the opening period.

B.U. came back to threaten Harvard in a five-goal second period during which nine penalties were called. Terrier Bill Bishop scored at 8:07 to cut the Crimson lead to one goal, but less than two minutes later sophomore Dave Gauthier lifted a shot into the lefthand corner of the B.U. net to make the score, 3-1.

The Terriers again rebounded with two quick goals at 12:25 and 13:10 to tie the game for the first time. Dolloff put a shot past Bertagna into the lefthand corner of the 'net, and less then a minute later, defenseman Gerry Gryp scored on a slapshot all the way from the red line.

Harvard regained the lead with two minutes left in the period, as All-American Hynes scored after taking a perfect pass from Corkery on the right wing. Hynes was unable to tally again on a semi-breakaway with less than a minute to play, and Harvard went into the dressing room with a 4-3 advantage."

The Crimson killed five penalties during the second period, while B.U. faced four man-down situations. Noonan was called twice for interference, Roth once for slashing, and Elliott and Thorndike each earned two minutes for high-sticking.

McManama notched the first goal of the final period to give Harvard a 5-3 lead. Twenty-four seconds inter Terrier wing Dick Decloe scored off a rebound, and again the Crimson advantage was cut to only one goal (5-4) with 14 minutes left to play.

Midway through the period, Bertagna made an important save on B.U. forward Ken Kuzyk, and a few seconds later Thorndike scored the winning goal.

Bertagna stopped 30 shots for Harvard, while B.U.'s Walsh made 35 saves.