Fast-moving Racquetmen Overpower Inexperienced Big Red Squad, 9-0

By Robert W. Gerlach

Harvard's varsity squash team showed no signs of weakness after a long exam break and crushed inexperienced Corneil, 9-0, yesterday on the Hemenway courts.

The collegiate victory followed on the heels of a very important team triumph Tuesday night in the Greater Boston league. Previously undefeated, a Crimson quintet topped the strongest challenging team in the league to virtually assure itself the league title.

The Greater Boston league has recently been less than a serious outing for the Crimson varsity, and Harvard has often been represented by the five most available players rather than the ladder's top five. Tuesday night, however, five of the Crimson's top six players faced the University Club's "A" team, led by former intercollegiate champion Anil Nayar.

The University Club took the top two matches, but Andy Weigand, Dan Gordon and Lowell Pratt swept the bottom spots for the team triumph.

Yesterday's collegiate triumph over Cornell kept the Crimson undefeated and prepared the setting for the February 26 meeting with unbeaten Penn. Little else was learned from the lopsided match, for Harvard trounced the opposition in 27 of 28 games.

The most impressive victories of the day came from Dan Gordon (four), Neil Vosters (seven), and Glen Whitman (nine), none of whom permitted his opponent more than seven points in a single game.

The Crimson's next match will be against Princeton Saturday at Hemenway. The number one and two matches will be held Friday afternoon so that Peter Briggs and Dave Fish can compete in the Cowles and Jacobs Tournaments sponsored by the University Club of New York on Saturday.

The tournaments are the preliminary warm-ups for the nationals the following weekend in Detroit.