Cagers Top Yale, 92-74, for First Ivy Win

By Jonathan P. Carlson

The Harvard basketball team, with a starting line-up that did not include James Brown and Floyd Lewis, stretched its 4-3 lead to 14-6 early in last night's game against Yale in New Haven, and then coasted into its first Ivy League win of the season, 92-74.

Jim Fitzsimmons, ranked among the top ten shooters in the country with 25-2 average, led the way with a 29-point performance, hitting on 13 of 24 from the field.

Tonight the Crimson travels to Providence to meet Brown, which before its game last night at Dartmouth was tied for first place in the League standings with Penn (both had 5-1 records).

In last night's contest, Harvard put its superior talents to work, outshooting and outrebounding the Elis all the way. The Crimson ballooned its first half advantage to 23 points midway through the half, and went into the locker room at half-time with a 46-27 lead.

Harvard got good performances from its bench, something it has missed through the season, and 11 players figured in the scoring. Fitzsimmons was the only one in double figures.

Employing a hustling defense, the Crimson held the Elis to just 27 field goals for the game, and kept the ball away from Bauskauskas, Yale's leading scorer. He tallied 15 points, while teammates Scott Michel and Mike McLaren had 18 and 17 points respectively.

In the second half, Yale made a brief comeback, narrowing the Crimson's advantage to 50-39. But 'Harvard scored six of the next nine points to regain the momentum.

The Crimson finished with a team shooting percentage of 52 per cent, while Yale hit on 39 per cent of its shots. Harvard also outrebounded the Elis, 58-38.

Harvard will need the momentum it gained last night when it meets Brown at 8 p.m. tonight in Providence. The Bruins, flying high behind their leading scorer and rebounder Arnie Berman, had compiled a 9-7 overall record before last night's game at Dartmouth.

Berman, whose name is being mentioned as a candidate for All America honors, is ninth in scoring in the nation and eighth in free throw shooting.