Crimson Cager Beat Brown, 78-72

Crimson Now Out of the Ivy Cellar

By Jonathan P. Carlson, Special to the Crimson

Providence, R.I.--The Harvard basketball team finally climbed out of the Ivy Leagues cellar Saturday night by upending Brown, 78-72, for its second win in the Ivies this season.

With two minutes left in Saturday night's contest, the Crimson's Tom Mustoe drew a charging foul to get Harvard the ball, then grabbed a rebound and scored at the other end of the court to put Harvard ahead 72-70.

Then James Brown, who came off the bench to boost the squad 21 points and ten rebounds, hit two one and-one situations to put the game out of Brown's reach.

The win gave the Crimson a 2-6 record in the Ivy League, and 8-10 overall mark, while Brown dropped out of a tie for first (with Penn) in the League. Brown is now 6-2 in the Ivies, and 10-8 overall. Harvard is tied for fifth in the League standings with Columbia.

During the first half Saturday night the Crimson jumped to an early lead, but then the Bruins Arnie Berman went to work, Berman, who scored 16 of his 21 points in the first half, pushed his squad into a 41-39 half time advantage.

"You have to give Marchall Sanders a pat on the back for putting the clamps on Berman during the second half," head coach Bob Harrison said after the game. "We used out heads and played smart ball when we got behind--that's why we won it."

James Brown paced the Crimson in scoring with 21, while jim Fitzsimmons added 16, Marshall Saders tallied 14, and Ken Wolfe, who hit several key baskets near the end of the game, added 10. Berman led Brown with 21. The Bruins had three others in double figures.

At the start of the second half, Brown pulled ahead by four, but the Crimson stayed right with them, forcing them away from the basket on defense and penetrating the Bruin zone for 10-foot jump shots.

Eventually Harvard's play paid off. Brown cooled off, and the Crimson moved ahead 66-62 with five and one-half minutes left in the game.

Harvard went into a stall with the score tied 68-68 that spent almost three minutes of the clock before Brown came out of its zone. Brown went ahead 70-69 before James Brown hit a free throw to tie the score. Then the Crimson went into its "turtle",a stalling offense, that resulted in Mustoe's rebound basket.