Police Receive Warrant For Casablanca Suspect

Cambridge Police yesterday received a warrant for the arrest of Carl Griffin, a suspect in the Saturday night murder of the manager of the Club Casablanca.

The Bureau of Criminal Investigation of the Cambridge Police Department released a composite drawing of Griffin on Monday. Griffin, a Cambridge resident, "has not been seen since the shooting," a Police Department spokesman said yesterday.

Govert K. van Schaik '62, the manager and a part owner of the Club Casablanca, was shot during business hours at the 40 Brattle Street establishment Saturday night. The Medical Examiner pronounced him dead at the bar.

A bullet was later removed from the upper left portion of his chest.

The bar--which is located under the Brattle Theatre--was immediately closed by the police upon their arrival. The patrons present were prevented from leaving before the club was searched, but no arrest was made at that time.

The suspect's identification was made by the detective bureau on Sunday afternoon.

Witnesses have given varied accounts of the Saturday night shooting. Some have said that they saw van Schaik quarreling with a black man and a white man. Others have said that the altercation involved only van Schaik and a black man.

Cyrus I. Harvey Jr. '47, the major owner of the club, could not be reached for comment on the incident.

The Club Casablanca was closed Saturday night following the incident, and it will remain closed until further notice.