Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Citing Toxic Culture and Administrator Departures, Harvard School of Public Health Faculty Repeatedly Weighed Voting No Confidence in Dean

Elizabeth Wurtzel ’89, Who Collected Friends ‘Like Beads on a String,’ Dies at 52

Multimedia

The Photos That Captured the 2010s

CCA Supports Three for Overseers

The Committee of Concerned Alumni (CCA), a group of about 100 alumni who want University decisions to be more sensitive to social issues, has endorsed three candidates for the Board of Overseers.

Alumni will elect five of the ten nominees on the ballot this Spring. Of the ten CCA is supporting Thomas I. Atkins (AM '63 and JD '69), Charles H. W. Foster '51, and Adele Simmons '63.

Contrary to traditional election procedures and the wishes of the Association of Harvard Alumni, the Committee plans an advertising campaign in support of its candidates with two full page advertisements in the Alumni Bulletin and a mailing to 10,000 alumni.

Brett Donham '60, a member of CCA, said specific issues which concerned the Committee were Harvard's investment decisions and its responsibility for community housing. The Committee is lobbying for student, faculty, and employee participation in the selection of Overseers.

Atkins, a member of Governor Sargent's cabinet as Secretary of Communities and Development, said yesterday that. "The University exists in a context, not a vacuum. It can no more ignore its total context than a German soldier 30 years ago could ignore the context he was in."

Simmons said she was especially concerned with women's education and the relationship of Harvard and Radcliffe. She is Dean of Jackson College.

Foster serves as Executive Secretary of the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Affairs.

In the Fall, the CCA submitted a list of candidates to the Overseer Nominating Committee and considered running an independent slate if no one they suggested were accepted. The Nominating Committee selected Foster and Atkins from the list.