Radcliffe Tennis Team Heads South; Face Four Teams in Pre-Season Trip

Morgan and Skon Try for Top Spot

By E.j. Dionne

Four members of the Radcliffe tennis team will be joining the spring flight south next week to face four squads in exhibition competition.

Juniors Meg Morgan and Joy Skon, sophomore Amy Moss, and freshwomen Sarah Stearns and Jill Robertson will be making the trip.

"The whole point is to get organized, to experiment with doubles teams, and to practice with matches," Robertson said.

Morgan and Skon vied with each other for first place last year. For the purposes of the trip, Joy is expected to take the number one spot with Morgan taking the second position.

Skon got to the semi-finals in the New England Women's Tennis tournament at Yale last fall.

Moss played third last year, Stearns is on a leave of absence, but made the fall trip to Yale.

The trip will open in Greenville, S.C. the day after Easter with a match against nationally ranked Christ Church School. On Tuesday, the team will travel to Athens, Ga. for a meet with the University of Georgia. They will then go to Hilton Head Island, off the coast of South Carolina for some individual matches, and the trip will end Thursday in Jacksonville, Florida as the team meets Furman University.

This is the first year the tennis team has practiced in the winter. The trip south--which is being organized by the players themselves--will mark the first time since the fall that the team is involved in actual matches.

The regular season will open right after vacation with successive matches against Barnard and Princeton. Nine matches are on the schedule.