Harvard Adopts New Security Plan: Engraving Device Marks Valuables

The University has adopted a new program involving the use of electronic engravers in an attempt to reduce thefts.

A small electric engraving tool is available to University members to inscribe their Social Security numbers or other identifying data on all plastic, metal and wood valuables.

Students are then given a police form on which they list all the engraved articles, and a "Theft-Guard" sticker to be placed outside their door as a warning to prospective thieves.

If the engraved object is stolen and later found by police, the number, which will be on police file, will make it easier to track down the rightful owners.

Harvard is the first school to adopt "Operation Identification," as the program is called, although thefts were reduced considerably this year because most entrances to the Houses and the Yard are now locked, according to Sgt. George A. Hill of the University police, the initiator of the identification program. The entire cost of the program is negligible, involving the purchase of twenty engravers at $10 each, Hill said.

A similar program was piloted in Monterey Park, Calif., in 1963. Since then only three of the 4000 protected homes were burglarized, while 1800 of the 7000 unguarded houses have been robbed.

The engraving tool is obtainable at Thayer Hall for residents of the Yard, and at the superintendents' office for those who live in the Houses. It may be borrowed free of charge for up to three days.