Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Panthers Endorse Shirley Chisholm

With a backdrop of posters of Huey Newton and George Jackson, a spokesman for the Massachusetts chapter of the Black Panther Party announced yesterday morning that the Panthers will support Rep. Shirley Chisholm (D.N.Y.) for President.

The announcement came at a press conference held at the chapter's Roxbury headquarters. Reading from a prepared statement. Gene Jones, a Party member, said. "The Black Panther Party member, said, "The Black Panther Party puts forth a call, to every Black, poor and progressive human being across this country, to unite together to join Sister Shirley Chisholm's campaign for election to the presidency of the United States."

The Same Statement was released the previous day by panther chairman Bobby scale at the Party's national headquarters is Oakland, calif. The statement was signed "Huey P. Newton, servant of the people, Black Panther Party. "This is the first time the Panthers have been officially involved in election politics.

The Washington Post quoted Chisholm as saying, "The Black Panthers, interviewing all of the other candidates, probably came to the conclusion that in terms of their own aspirations, I would be the best candidate," She added that she will meet soon with Seale and Newton to plan programs for poor people.

The Panther statement said that the entire Party membership would actively work for Chisholm's election, and noted that control of the economic, political and social institutions of this society by the people was their basic goal.

In endorsing Chisholm--whose slogan is "Unbought and Unbossed"--the statement said, "Shirley Chisholm has stood up in the face to racism, a lone Black woman, denouncing the sufferings of Black and poor people at every opportunity. (She) is the best social critic of America's injustices to run for presidential office."

The statement asked that those people wishing to work for Chisholm contact her campaign headquarters or any Black Panther Party Chapter