Crimson Tennis Team Ends Season; Ties Dartmouth in N.E. Tournament

Win All Three Doubles

The Harvard tennis team completed its season this weekend on a somewhat sour note settling for a disappointing tie with Dartmouth in the three-day New England championship tournament held at Amherst.

Though Crimson teams took firsts in all three doubles divisions, only one Harvard singles player--Randy Barnett, who won the C division tournament--got beyond the semifinals.

Lloyd Ucko of Dartmouth took the A division singles competition, while Ken Lindner lost in the semis and Harris Masterson fell in an early round, Masterson and Lindner won the A doubles.

John Ingard reached the B semifinals for the Crimson, while Tom Loring was stopped in his second match. Ingard teamed with captain Chris Nielson to win the B doubles.

In the C division, Jim Esserman, filling in for Nielson, who had hurt his ankle, lost in the second round.

But Barnett outlasted Dartmouth's Rick Woolworth to win that tournament, 7-6, 2-6, 7-6 in a cliffhanger final set decided on the ninth point of a five-out-of-nine tiebreaker. Barnett completed a fine weekend by teaming with Loring to win the C doubles.

"There was a stretch Sunday afternoon when it looked like Dartmouth was far and away the winner," Loring said yesterday. "It's a good thing we pulled out those doubles matches."

Other teams in the tournament included Brown, Yale, Amherst, Williams, MIT, and Trinity.